Black Friday, the day after Thanksgiving, was dubbed such by the Philadelphia Police Department back in 1966. It was a not-so-nice term used to describe the enormous amount of vehicular traffic that disrupted the city on that particular day each year.
It wasn’t until the mid-1970s that the idiom Black Friday grew into a common retail expression illustrating the day when stores turn a profit – or when they are “in the black.”
Today, Black Friday is simply known for being the official kickoff to the holiday shopping season.
And although it’s still a week away, you’ll want to start getting prepared now. Below we’ve gathered some great Black Friday shopping tips, as well as some phenomenal sales throughout Atlantic City that you just won’t want to miss.
Some Black Friday Shopping Tips:
- Research: Start researching sales ads early. But don’t necessarily ignore stores that don’t advertise. They’ll surely have deals, too!
- Make a plan: Figure out what you want to buy, which stores have the best sales and when they open. Plan your shopping trip by opening time from earliest to latest.
- Stay safe: Unfortunately, Black Friday tends to bring out pick-pockets and muggers. Be aware of those around you. Remember, there is power in numbers, so shop with friends or family members.
- Keep your energy up: Bring snacks with you so you don’t have to stop to eat.
- Have fun: Enjoy this festive shopping tradition with your family and friends!
Top Black Friday Deals in Atlantic City:
- eNextDoor: Fashionistas take note – this super hot A.C. boutique that is jam-packed with fabulous Italian designers (Versace, Blumarine and Roberto Cavalli to name a few) is offering 30 percent off this day only with the coupon code “EatDrinkShop.” The code can be used either in store (call for an appointment) or online. Stock up on dresses, scarves, shoes, linens and more.
- Revolution Jewelers: "Get SHOCKed" – grab a limited-edition 30th anniversary watch before, ahem, time runs out. Or check out their special Red Bull racing watch, along with their selection of G Shocks specially designed with runners in mind – they have dual timers!
- Tanger Outlets/The Walk: Doors open at 6 a.m. Friday, Nov. 23. Look for incredible savings throughout the entire weekend. Know which day you’re going to shop? Go online at www.tangeroutlet.com and look for additional after-Thanksgiving Day specials and coupons for specific stores on certain weekend days, such as 50 percent off boots and handbags at Naturalizer on Friday, or 40 percent off anything at Puma on both Saturday and Sunday.
- Caché: Caché in The Quarter at Tropicana wants you to sparkle this holiday season, so enjoy a dazzling 40 percent off regular prices on Black Friday (some exclusions apply). Want to start shimmering sooner? Start your shopping a day earlier, as they’re open on Thanksgiving Day, too.
- Emporium: This Revel shopping mecca is enticing customers to shop early on Black Friday. From 9 to 11 a.m., take 20 percent off already-reduced items. While there, enjoy a complimentary brunch, complete with champagne and croissants. And there will be a live DJ in The Row to keep you boppin’ while you’re shoppin’.
- The Old Farmer’s Almanac General Store: Planning a good old-fashioned holiday this year? Then pop into this charming down-home shop for all your decorations and holiday needs. Mention this column and receive 20 percent off any tree ornament! Stock up now for next October, as all Harvest and Halloween merchandise is 50 percent to 75 percent off while supplies last. Some ongoing promotions include “Forever Young Mondays,” where anyone over the age of 60 receives 20 percent off regularly-priced merchandise, and veterans or active military personnel always receive 15 percent off full-priced items.
- A Time for Wine II: Wine and cigar aficionados will be happy to see this unique store inside Caesars - which also carries craft beers, upscale liquors and gifts such as fancy cigar cutters and lighters as well as wine canteens, holders and bottle stoppers - will be offering 15 percent off anything in the store on Black Friday only.
- BASK by Exhale: Give an exhale holiday package hand-picked by Exhale's experts or choose an Exhale gift card in the perfect amount for any of their signature spa therapies or fitness classes.
- Atlantic City Restaurant Week: While A.C. Restaurant Week isn’t until March, gift certificates will be available for purchase beginning Black Friday. Give the food lovers on your list an opportunity to enjoy a yummy fixed-price, three-course meal at one of 75 fine restaurants throughout Atlantic City. Purchase these ideal stocking stuffers at the Expressway Information Center (mile marker 3.5 of the A.C. Expressway), or at the Boardwalk Information Center (Mississippi Ave. and the Boardwalk) or online at www.acrestaurantweek.com.
Comings and Goings:
LICK at The Quarter in Tropicana – Coming in December
The ultimate candy shop is coming to Atlantic City – just in time for the holidays! From confectionary classics to decadent modern creations, LICK has something for even the most discriminating sweet tooth. LICK offers candies and souvenir novelties from around the world, all wrapped up in a fun, contemporary and interactive environment that will delight the young and the young at heart. Look for signature edibles, sugar-free candies, name-brand favorites and more.