This weekend, Memorial Day will kick off the unofficial start to summer. And with the dreadful winter that we’ve had, it’s probably a pretty safe bet to say that we’re officially ready for it.
Happily, Atlantic City's shops are geared up for it, too!
Everything you need for the holiday weekend, as well as for the rest of the sizzling season -- from grilling accessories to beach chairs to coolers and more -- can be found in A.C.’s red hot shops:
Hip sunglasses by Guess for both men and women are available at Caesar’s Exclusively and Studio at both Bally’s and Harrah’s. Prices range from $65 to $150. You’ll find aviators, cat eyes, wraparounds and the like to frame your face and protect your eyes.
BBQ Tools ‘n’ Treats
Kitchen Collection at Tanger Outlet has barbeque needs for burgers in the backyard or hot dogs on the beach (grills that are portable and disposable). And to help keep you cool, they also carry snow cone machines, a variety of ice flavors, plus the proper serving cups and straws.
Get quality stainless steel gadgets and utensils at The Cooking School at Viking at Harrah’s. With a large assortment of aprons, cooking tools and accessories, you’ll look like an expert behind the grill, even if you’re only a novice. Insiders’ Tip: Jessica Steele aprons are 50 percent off for a limited time only.
After you’ve devoured your burgers and dogs, satisfy your sweet tooth with a favorite local treat for more than 125 years, James Salt Water Taffy (found at The Marketplace at Tropicana). Purchase a box full of yummy flavors including chocolate, peanut, peppermint, lime and many more for your host or for yourself.
Tommy Bahama embodies island life. Which is ideal for islanders like us! Hit the beach this summer with fun and functional items from this beach-inspired shop.
- Deluxe Stainless Steel Rolling Party Cooler ($318): This cool cooler (with redesigned bottle opener) has awesome conveniences such as a towel rack, folding service tray and removable base. It’s waterproof and has easy-grip handles and wheels that make maneuvering on sand simple, while the lower shelf holds your party essentials with ease.
- Beach Bocce Ball Set ($158): Who doesn’t love beach bocce? It’s easy to learn and fun to play. Eight colorful bocce balls and one pallino ball in a water-resistant travel case will make your beach time even more playful.
- iPod Stereo Cooler ($98): Nothing’s better than laying on the beach, sipping a cold one and listening to some favorite tunes. With built-in stereo speakers and a sleeve with an audio jack (for your iPod, iPhone or other portable MP3 player), this must-have item for the beach packs your refreshments andyour music.
- Orange Deluxe Backpack Beach Chair ($58): This lightweight collapsible beach chair reclines to five different positions. It also has an insulated cooler pouch, cell phone holder, towel bar, adjustable pillow and then some.
- Sunrise Pin Tail Longboard Skateboard ($368): This surfboard-inspired skateboard made with 100% sustainable hardwood, is slightly curved for optimum strength and flexibility. The silica-infused finish provides excellent deck traction, and the pin tail shape allows for sharper turning and better all-around maneuverability.
Stylish Alex and Ani bangle bracelets, loaded with postive energy, are charming any time of year. But we are especially excited about its summer-themed ones. Beach- and ocean-related items such as seashells, dolphins, sailboats and many more grace these adorable stackables. Get one or a ton at Wolf Fine Jewelers at The Pier Shops at Caesars.
Relive summers of your youth with Yankee Candle’s popsicle-inspired fragrances. “Cool Pops” is a limited-edition candle collection comprised of refreshing summery scents such as Banana Blueberry, Mango Nectarine and Pina Colada. These colorful scented candles can be found at Picks ‘N’ Wicks at Bally’s.
THE BIG DEAL
Old Farmers Almanac General Store at The Quarter at Tropicana is having a big sale during Memorial Weekend (5/24-5/27). Stop by and try a sampling of hot sauces, dips, baked goods, salsas and other delish nibbles to serve at your BBQ event. While there, stock up on La Provence’s “Rooster Collection” serving platters, dishes, mugs and other party essentials and take 50 percent off during the weekend sale.